Sunday, May 24, 2009

Response to Professor's Blog

Taryn M said...

I don't have children, I'm never around children and since the advent of TiVO, I don't watch commercials anymore and haven't for years. I believe that most people, out of habit or lessons learned from family members, buy pink for girls and blue for boys. Isn't there even a poem about it? I think men are more concerned with whether their sons play with dolls or play dress up and I agree with Nik that this is probably a homophobic reponse.
I also believe that parents never want their kids to be different - they probably feel it's so difficult to navigate everything, that adding what they see as an oddity to their child's make-up would make their life hell. I remember my parents telling me that to date someone of a different race would be difficult for me - they didn't mind, of course - but it would be hard on me having to deal with bigots. I think the majority of parents would be embarrassed if their child chose the toys from the "wrong" pile. I think that is a major issue with toy-choice and children - it's the parents' hang ups that really get in the way.
I'm sure the media or ad agencies play a huge role in marketing of toys to the "appropriate" child. But their job is to sell the most of their product and society sees girls playing with Barbie, not boys - so why bother trying to market to boys - it's not the demographic.
Could we change the demographic of particular toys? I really think it would be a tough sell and companies don't want to waste time or money on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment