Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Week #2-Eureka Moment - Taryn Miranda

Friday, May 22, 2009

2nd Posting
So, I've been watching American Idol now for about four years. This year the finale came down to two distinctly different men: Kris Allen, a laid back Arkansas gentleman with a nice voice for acoustic guitar who can change up a song to make it his own; and Adam Lambert, a showman whose vocal range is incredible and his choice of staging, clothes and song choice were perfect week after week. For the entire season, Adam Lambert was touted to win American Idol, hands down. Little by little, Kris Allen crept into the hearts and ears of America and when Ryan Seacrest announced the winner, Idol enthusiasts seemed shocked that Kris Allen bested Adam Lambert. Unfortunately, many people thought that Adam Lambert (crowned "Glambert" by the media for his "guyliner" and flashy clothing) lost out to Kris because America thinks Adam is gay. No one actually knows whether he's gay or straight or bi - but who cares? This was about singing, right? Oh, right, I'm talking about American Idol where the judges think the show is about them. Adam Lambert is a confident young man, who can "sing his face off" to quote Randy Jackson, and who has side-stepped the media's question about his sexuality. Although many people may have seen the picture on the internet of Adam kissing another man and assumed he was gay, he has never spoken publicly about it. I heard him last night say "It really isn't anyone's business, it is?" to a reporter. During the post-finale press junket, Kris was asked, very delicately, whether he thought he won because the votes of the third place finisher, another Christian male, went to Kris. Kris told the reporter that he and Adam had discussed it, that he was sorry that anyone thought that, and both he and Adam were hoping the voting was based on their singing, rather than on anyone's sexuality.Adam Lambert didn't win, although from an overall standpoint, he is probably the most talented contestant the show has seen in its eight years. I really like Kris - he's adorable, humble, gentlemanly (sorely lacking in today's society) but if I had to say who was more talented, I would say Adam - he can do so many different genres and his vocal range is great. The funny thing is, Kris feels the same way: he felt Adam deserved the title as well.I hope America wasn't voting based upon sexuality....does anyone else have an opinion?Taryn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taryn,
    Call me naive but I would like to think that it didn’t have anything to do with his sexual preferences. I think most Americans like to root for the underdog. I am not a great fan of American Idol. However you can’t seem to escape it no matter how hard you try. Usually I will watch the first 4 or 5 episodes before I loose interest. I also think that Adam had more talent, but I didn’t like the type of music he sang. So my particular taste in music had a lot to do with why I didn’t like him, and not his talent. I personally stopped watching that show the year Sanjaya kept getting nominated to stay over and over again. He definitely didn’t have any talent and I couldn’t understand why people kept voting for him. He didn’t win but he stayed around a lot longer than he needed to. Adam isn’t the only strong singer that hasn’t won. The show has a history of letting really strong singers go, such as: Jennifer Hudson and Clay Aikens, just to name a few. I feel that both of those guys were very strong singers and should have won, but they didn’t. Although it can be argued that they didn’t win because she was a chunky black woman and he was also reported to be a homosexual I really don’t think that was the reason. I think their styles of music didn’t appeal to the masses. Clay seemed to be like the new Michael Bolton (whom I love) but a lot of people think he is cheesy or corny and I think Jennifer was too blues for many people.

    ReplyDelete