Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Response to Joan's Blog #4

Joan,
I'm right there with you! Somehow people think that if a woman works but tells people that she really wants to get married and raise a family, she's somehow intellectually inferior to the other women who have gotten degrees and are pursuing a career. That's actually what my Wiki page is about - working women vs. stay at home moms.
When I had my bookstore, it was near Rutgers University and many of the professors lived in the town nearby. I don't know how many times I heard (only from women) "I'm only buying this book so that I can zone out," when it came to buying a romance book. S omehow they thought I would judge them for reading "romance" or "trash." I was just happy someone was purchasing something from me and that the person was reading. That was most important to me.
I crochet too. I would do that at work during the slow times and "career women" would say to me, "Oh, I wish I had time to do that sort of hobby." A little condescening? Yeah. I would say with a smile, "You do have time. You just choose to do other things with your time."
I admire stay at home moms. I think there's a stigma to them as unworthy or not as smart but I feel they are less selfish and more invested in their children. Just my opinion.
Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment